Climate Change Matters
We are in a climate emergency. The United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change has declared that our world has only a limited amount of time before passing the tipping point of permanent harm...
Read the full article here.
First steps for a union activist
If you are interested in doing something about climate change here are some basic steps to follow.
- Start by learning about policies your union has already adopted
- Look at ideas generated by your local Labour Council or the Canadian Labour Congress.
- Talk to other union members to find out who else shares your concern.
- Discuss how to approach the leadership of the union about a resolution that will start the local union on a path to engaging in climate action. You can find wording for a resolution at https://www.laboureducation.org/working_green.
- Craft a motion or resolution for the Executive Board, and help guide that motion to endorsement by the membership.
- Listen to others to build consensus on this vital issue.
Read more on our 'Climate Justice is Union Business' initiative here.
Steve Shallhorn, Executive Director, LEC ([email protected])
Karen Lior, Director, Working Green Program, LEC ([email protected])