The Labour Education Centre is excited to launch its latest program offering: Women In Construction. This experiential pre-apprenticeship training program prepares women participants to begin as apprentices in the construction trades. Recruitment is now open and space is limited so please click here to apply. The next program begins Spring 2024.
The new Women In Construction pre-apprenticeship training program offered by LEC will give women participants the education and training to begin as apprentices in a variety of trades with emphasis on exposure to Architectural Glass and Metal Technician-Glazier and Electrician-Construction Maintenance trades. Participants will also be exposed to drywall finishing, sheet metal, and general carpentry.
As part of the program, participants will also receive 10 Health & Safety certifications, including Globally Harmonized WHIMIS, Working at Heights, and Introduction to Hand Tools. The program will provide 8 weeks of full-time training, 8 weeks of full-time job placement, and one week of post-program skill building and future planning.
This Program is for You if...
- You Picture yourself shattering stereotypes
- Financial improvement is your personal goal
- You want to enter the construction industry
- You want an accelerated program and are able to commit to 16 weeks of full-time training
- You like to work with your hands
- You have a ‘can do’ attitude and are willing to work hard to secure a career in the skilled construction trades
- You want a program that is tailored to your needs
- 8-week training program
- 8-week work placement
- 10 Health & Safety certifications
- Hands-on instruction
- Site visits
- Skill building
Prior to acceptance into the program, applicants will go through an application process where their readiness will be assessed. If assessed as required, participants can access literacy and basic skill upgrading provided by LEC throughout the program.