The Labour Education Centre is currently recruiting two (2) part-time temporary Youth Animators to work with our Youthlinx Project.
The two positions will be part-time for 12 weeks, 2 weeks preparation, 8 weeks of providing in-class support for Youthlinx participant and 2 weeks wrap up. There may be some addition hours at the end of each class. The class will be based at our office at 15 Gervais Drive (Don Mills & Eglinton area).
- Attend Youthlinx classes from 1-4:30 pm Monday to Thursdays.
- Work collaboratively with project staff (2 Youth Workers, 2 Animators and Director of Literacy and Basic Skills/Youthlinx Project Coordinator to deliver pre-employment training.
- Address issues extraneous to the training that will hamper participants’ ability to learn and complete the program. These issues may include housing, food security, child care issues, family stress and peer pressure. The Youth Animators will address interpersonal issues and assist with relationship-building and will provide peer-to-peer support.
- Provides appropriate support, information, advice, referrals and follow-up to Youthlinx participants as directed by the 2 Youth Workers
- Perform additional duties as required.
- Previous recent experience in non-profit community setting and/or neighbourhood-based organizing working with youth in racialized, low income, diverse Toronto neighbourhoods.
- Demonstrated integrity, sound judgment and good problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated experience in embracing and promoting diversity; and working well in diverse economic and multi-cultural communities in an urban setting
- Assertiveness skills with the ability to respond to difficult situations appropriately as well as maintain boundaries.
- Passionate about youth engagement, community development, economic and social justice
- As the position is to provide peer to peer advice, candidates should be 18-29 years of age.
- Fluency in a newcomer language an asset.
- Ownership/access to a car is an asset.
Please email applications to by noon July 31 2015 to:
Labour Education Centre
For further info on these positions please click here for a PDF copy of the complete job posting.