When LEC staff member Pina (Barbieri) Trimarchi’s family arrived at Halifax’s Pier 21 aboard the S.S. Queen Anna Maria in July of 1965, photographer Ken Elliot was on duty that day and documented the Barbieri family’s first steps on Canadian soil.
Although Pina’s father Giuseppe Barbieri had told the family for many years of the existence of this photo, the family never quite believed him.
Then last year, Pina’s sister Maria (Barbieri) Oliva came across the long lost photo while thumbing through a copy of the April, 2014 issue of the Italian Canadian magazine “Panoram Italia”.
Photo via “Panoram Italia” and the Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21.
Last week the Barbieri family gathered together for a reunion at the Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21. CTV Atlantic Canada was on hand to document the 50th anniversary of the Barbieri family’s arrival in Canada (see video linked above!).
“I’m Eglinton” is a new eight week programme to help individuals explore careers in the construction industry.
The programme includes:
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- Working at heights and confined space certification
- Working with propane certification
- Awareness training on personal protective equipment
- Basic blue print reading
- Power and hand tool awareness
- Building Trades Centre tours
This programme is for you if:
- You are on Ontario Works (contact your case worker for a referral)
- You have Grade 10 English and math or equivalent
- You are interested in a career in the construction industry
- You like to work outdoors and use tools.
If you are interested, please register online by clicking here.
You can also download our PDF flyer by clicking here