The Salvation Army is looking to hire up to 12 Warehouse Workers/Drivers for the upcoming holiday season. This position would be on a temporary basis, lasting from November 2022 to January 2023. Interested applicants are encouraged to email their résumé to [email protected], Attn: John Halbert, Executive Director.
About the Organization:
The Salvation Army is an international Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
We are an innovative partner, mobilized to share hope wherever there is hardship, building communities that are just and know the love of Jesus.
- Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
- Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
- Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
- Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
About the Position:
The Warehouse Worker/Driver will be responsible for standard warehouse duties of receiving, sorting, put-away, picking and shipping of (primarily) toys and food for a great cause. Regular equipment (manual pallet jack, etc.) use is required as well as a significant amount of manual work and possible use of computer systems to help supply donated goods to member agencies who help the needy in our communities. The position also entails driving Salvation Army vehicles (where qualified to do so) to do deliveries and pick ups of donated goods. Specifically, this seasonal role will be focussed on supporting the Toy Mountain campaign operations and so the term ‘goods’ below primarily refers to toys.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform shipping and receiving of goods
- Pickup, sort, put-away, pack and ship
- Inspect goods received for quality / damage / expiry (Best Before) dates; document, rotate, and store stock appropriately to ensure maximum yield is achieved
- Build skids of fresh, frozen and / or dry goods for delivery
- Accurately count and weigh product being delivered or shipped
- Deliver shipped goods to locations around the GTA and pickup donated goods from similar locations. Vehicle may be up to a 3-Ton/16-ft truck with lift-gate.
- Assist with inventory reconciliation
- Use Warehouse Management System to record / facilitate warehouse operations
- Perform general cleaning and maintenance tasks of warehouse, yard and equipment as required
- Promote the Mission, Policies and Objectives of the Ontario Distribution Centre in the Ontario Division
- Prepare, complete and submit documentation in a timely manner as required
- Maintain a clean and organized work environment
- Adhere to the Salvation Army Policy & Procedure Manual, Ontario Distribution Centre Policy & Procedure Manual and Ontario Distribution Centre Health & Safety Guidelines
- Ensure all comments regarding goods and / or services from Ministry Units, suppliers or other contacts are communicated to management in a timely manner
- Wear the appropriate safety / Personal Protective Equipment
- Ensure all work is done in a safe manner, in accordance with TSA, WSIB, CVOR, and all other regulatory requirements
- Other related duties as assigned.
Critical Relationship Management
- Works cooperatively with Warehouse Management/Workers, Drivers and volunteers
- Provides occasional guidance and supervision to new employees and volunteers
- Interacts courteously and professionally with staff from various Ministry Units while completing delivery tasks
- Interacts courteously and professionally with suppliers and donors
- This position reports directly to Warehouse Management or Shift Supervisor
- May provide guidance and supervision to new employees and volunteers during onboarding and orientation
Financial & Materials Management
- This position has the authority to spend (via corporate card) on general vehicle expenses when driving and materials required for warehouse operations
- Accountable for operating and maintaining specialized equipment to sort, transport, store, and build skids
- Accountable for the efficient/effective handling of goods and materials and the responsibility for distributing products to the various clients, considering warehouse stock, product best before dates, and client needs
- Work is typically performed in a warehouse environment with exposure to handling garbage, monotony of work (repetitive tasks), occasional odours
- Work potentially involves work in freezers and refrigerators with some outdoor work in winter
- Where appropriate, occasional to frequent pickup and delivery/driving requiring outside work
- Occasionally required to lift/move/transport weights of more than 39lbs (normally only up to 39lbs)
The above responsibilities must be performed in keeping with The Salvation Army’s Mission, Vision and Values, in a professional manner, upholding our code of conduct.
Required Skills, Experience and Knowledge:
- Completion of High School
- Current Forklift Operators Certificate is an asset
- More than 1 year but less than 2 years of related experience
- Acceptable criminal record check
- Valid class G drivers’ license and an acceptable drivers’ abstract required for driver role and is an asset.
- Proven attention to detail and the ability to follow legislation, directions, policies/procedures and processes
- Ability to personally and safely lift up to 39 pounds
- Reliable, self-motivated and confidential
- Ability to work in a team setting as well as independently
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written
- Able to adopt a flexible work schedule during peak and / or seasonal times
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to perform several tasks concurrently with ease and professionalism
- Ability to understand and adhere to the Code of Ethics
- Able to work in a consultative, diplomatic and tactful manner
- Organizational / time-management skills to plan and manage the workload
- Respect for and understanding of The Salvation Army - its mission, culture, and values
Successful candidates will be required to provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check and/or Vulnerable Sector Screening.
In support of our commitment to a healthy and safe workplace and community, The Salvation Army (TSA) has a vaccination requirement for all new employees within the Province of Ontario, Social Services sector. The successful candidate will be made an offer of employment on the condition of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and will be required to provide proof of full vaccination, prior to their employment start date. The requirement to be fully vaccinated is subject to provincial human rights legislation. If the candidate is unable to vaccinate for a reason protected by the Human Rights Code, a request for accommodation can be submitted and written proof satisfactory to TSA will be required.
The Salvation Army offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment process. If you are contacted to participate in an interview or screening process, please advise us if you require accommodation.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
You must advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should send their résumé to John Halbert, Executive Director. Click below to send your application now!
Showing 1 reaction
Sign in withFacebook Twitter